Numana SS Crucifix
THE SANCTUARY OF THE SS CRUCIFIX
The Sanctuary was built between 1561 and 1566. In October of the same year the crucifix was transferred to the new Shrine, with imposing festivities.
The Sanctuary, a rectangular shape, originally measured 20 m. wide and 22 m. of height. Within the structures were arranged in the form of a Greek cross. The chapel is intended to accommodate the crucified was adorned with precious marbles. In the course of the years the building underwent changes: in fact, to meet the living requirements of Prior, the upper part was enlarged.
With the coming years the temple, for structural reasons, became unsafe; any repair would have been in vain and the only way to be followed was that of the reconstruction that began in the course of the year 1967. The new Shrine, as it is today, was inaugurated on 6 July 1969.