Numana SS Crucifix
tradition more widespread is certainly that indicates this Crucifix as work carried out by those who set down from the Cross and gave burial to the body of Christ. The Crucifix, once finished, was kept in the home of a Jew, but shortly after, the opera was discovered and damaged.
Carlo Magno, Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire, came to know some of the wonders of the Crucifix, decided to donate it to Pope Leo III. During the transport of the Crucifix at the height of the then imposing the port of Numana, a furious storm forced the Emperor and his entourage to land and to leave the relic at the church of S. John the Baptist. The Emperor in the meantime, for urgent diplomatic reasons, was forced to reach the Lombardy and subsequently France where he died in 814 A.D. The Crucifix, after his death, remained in Numana forgotten by his successors. In the year 846 A.D. Numana was devastated by telluric movements of considerable entity, that destroyed a large part of the houses and also the church of S. John so that the Crucified One seemed to be lost. In 1294 some fishermen Numanesi found in sea the crucifix and once freed from debris that the covered, was brought in a chapel spared by the earthquake in the vicinity of the walls of the country, at the height of the existing remains of the "Tower" and there remained there until 1566.
Due to the decline of Numana and for the prosperity of the nearby castle of Sirolo where the pilgrims found hospitality, the crucifix was called "Sirolo" while previously, as can be seen from some documents it was said "Crucified Numana".